2013-12-11: PeerStreamer 1.2.0 now available for download!
2013-12-4: Created section 'Usage'
What is it?
PeerStreamer is an open source P2P Media Streaming framework written in C, developed as part of the NAPA-WINE European research project. It includes a streaming engine for the efficient distribution of media streams, a source application for the creation of channels and a player applications to visualize the streams. To the best of our knowledge, PeerStreamer is unique among other similar applications for at least three reasons:
- open source development
- fast and efficient code
- network awareness and friendliness
- digests almost any media format
- configurable chunking engine
- configurable topology module
- streaming engine with several streaming protocols (push/pull/negotiation based)
- configurable chunk/peer scheduler
- ALTO (Application-Layer Traffic Optimization) support
PeerStreamer has several incarnations for various target audiences:
- Users: download binaries or source code from our dedicated download page
- Developers: source code is available from git repositories. Consult the development page for more details
- Researchers: check out streamers implementing various state-of-the-art streaming algorithms from literature at our research page. Related publication are also available here
Various features of PeerStreamer have been presented with live demos at the following venues: